6.25.2010

Baby it's cold outside... Well, comparatively speaking...

The interior of my home is officially 10 degrees hotter than it is outside.  I don't know if my house has noticed this or not, but we are actually located in the northern hemisphere and it's nearly July which equates to... SUMMER!  I must concede that it's not totally my house's fault... I suppose some of the blame falls on the out of doors.  Summers in northern Indiana are invariably hot and most importantly humid.  That's right folks, humid.  If you're not too familiar with humidity let me break it down for you.  The second you walk outside you feel like you've walked into a sauna... every ounce of viable life-giving oxygen has been replaced with thick sweat laden (almost gelatinous) atmosphere.  It's almost like swimming while vertical.

Ok, so I may have over-dramatized the humidity but you get my drift right?  It's hot, it's sticky and the second you've showered and gotten dry you feel almost the immediate need to go shower all over again.  How does this relate to my house you may be asking?  Another lovely little factoid about our summers is that it's not uncommon to have little to no breeze... I am convinced this is how my house got to be so hot.  The windows were open but with the lack of breeze circulation was not happening.  This got me thinking.  Every vacation I have ever been on that involved a tropical climate, I have made some wild and crazy statement that I would be able to set up permanent residence there.  I'm not so convinced right now.

With that said I keep thinking more and more about this trip to Haiti that my church is putting together.  With finances being in such short supply, several of the people who had initially signed up to go (me included) are having to drop out.  While I definitely feel as though I am supposed to get my butt down there at some point, I am growing more and more convinced that God was the one who put the breaks on for this go-around.  

Over the last couple of weeks (after my decision to stay home), every time I have walked outside into the heat and humidity of the afternoon I think of Haiti.  Every time I open my car door and suck in the last breath of "cool" air before submersing myself into my boiling vehicle I think to myself this is what Haiti must feel like.  I keep thinking that here in Indiana we have some wicked summers but truth is, in Haiti it's pretty much summer year-round.  Every time I switch on an air conditioning unit these days I'm reminded of how utterly blessed I am.

I have lots going through my head this evening... I have to say that I am exceedingly grateful for where I live and my family and the immense blessing of being an American.  I know that may sound a bit cheesy but it's the truth... we are a very blessed people and I want to do all I can to not take that for granted... anyway, I feel like I could go on forever (which would be terrible for anyone reading this as you would have to sit there forever assuming you're still reading now)...

Out... like a light.... (hopefully here soon anyway...)

1 comment:

  1. You know that sticky feeling? That's exactly how it is in India! You shower, leave your hotel room, and immediately want to go back and shower! :)

    ReplyDelete